A school boy, aged 15, was wearing a magnetic tongue stud when he swallowed both parts on the way to school.
He thought nothing of it until two weeks later when he experienced crippling stomach pains which were so severe that he could not talk or move.
The boy was rushed to hospital where a camera in his stomach revealed the studs when they stuck to the camera. He was taken for immediate surgery whereby his bowel was cut in three different places in order to remove the studs.
He was informed that he was a mere four hours away from dying had he not gone to the hospital when he did. The boy has been told the damage may be permanent.
Three other pupils at the same school swallowed the studs but have been given the all clear by the hospital.
The magnets are so powerful that they stick together inside the stomach causing holes.
The studs are the latest fashion craze and enable teenagers to wear a stud either side of the tongue to look as though they have a tongue piercing.
The studs have been flagged up in America as a risk to health when a young girl aged 13 swallowed them, resulting in three holes in her intestine.
We act for a number of clients who have sustained injuries from jewellery. If you have suffered a similar injury that was not your fault you may be able to make a claim. It is important that you get independent expert legal advice, preferably as soon as possible from one of our specialist lawyers.
The level of service was very professional and I would recommend your services.Mr P H | Derby
Actons were very professional at all times and were brilliant.Ms N P | Stress & Bullying at Work
© Actons Solicitors 2018.
20 Regent Street, Nottingham, NG1 5BQ
Actons is a firm of solicitors authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. Our ID Number is 62882.
Digital marketing by mmadigital