Extreme reaction to hair dye causes death
A teenager has died after a severe reaction to hair dye. After only 20 minutes of the hair dye being applied the girl started to frantically pull the foil from her hair. She then started vomiting and then collapsed and had a violent fit.
The paramedics were called and she was taken to hospital but she later died. An investigation into her death has been conducted but her death is currently unexplained.
However, it is thought to have been caused by PPD (also known as p-Phenylendiamine). This chemical is in 99% of all hair dyes, yet the European Scientific Committee for Consumer products showed that 80% of allergic reactions by hair dye are caused by this chemical.
PPD is used in hair dye to fix the colour permanently to the hair so that it doesn’t wash out. Dark colours are particularly at risk as it contains more PPD than the light colours.
There has been research recently that has shown other risks from PPD. Yale School of Public Health suggests that women who dyed their hair more than 9 times a year double their risk of developing a form of leukaemia known as follicular lymphoma.
Furthermore, researchers have found that dark hair dyes were especially rich in carcinogenic chemicals.
The extreme reaction the teenager suffered is very rare, affecting around 1 in 250,000 people but can occur, even if you have never suffered a reaction from hair dye before.
We act for a number of clients who have suffered from reactions from hair dyes and have been injured.
If you suffer a hair related disaster either from a hair dye treatment at a salon or any other treatment you had at the hairdressers you may be able to make a claim. It is important that you get independent expert legal advice, preferably as soon as possible from one of our specialist lawyers.